Traditional Foods

"Traditional" in the context of these projects means pre-contact foods. No beef, mutton, goat, chicken, pork, milk, butter, cream, wheat flour (no fry bread), rye, barley, okra, black-eyed peas, or any other "Old World" food that many of us have lovingly incorporated into our diets and tribal cultures. No processed foods (Doritoes, Lays Chips, etc), even if the base is corn or potatoes. No chocolate unless it is unsweetened cacao or sweetened with honey from the Melipona bee, fruit, stevia, camas or agave. Be adventurous and try unfamiliar foods! There are many foods to choose from. My American Indian Health and Diet Project site lists and defines many of them.



Thursday, October 20, 2011

Drying Foods

I picked the last of my garden last night--the first freeze arrived around 4 a.m. I found a lot of tomatoes and peppers. The green ones will go in paper bags so they can ripen.

My American Harvester dryer is old, but still works. It has dried venison, apples, tomatoes, peppers, mangoes and even liver for my sled dogs when we lived in Arizona. I don't recommend drying liver since it stinks beyond description.

Here is a container of tomatoes. The flavor is sweet and intense. If you live in a hot and dry climate, you can dry them in a screened-in porch. We'll use these as snacks and on sandwiches.


2 comments:

  1. I began my week of eating Indigenous foods today. I had sweet water (water mixed with maple syrup), wintergreen tea (with a teaspoon full of maple sugar), and a bowl full of baked wild rice with blueberries, a teaspoonful of maple sugar, and wild rice milk poured over it. We made the wild rice milk yesterday. It took 4 1/2 hours, but it is so worth it. Looking forward to lunch today which will be a ground moose/wild rice meal/sweet potato/leek caserole. Dinner will be moose burgers and pumpkin on the grill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest things yesterday were not eating cheese and smelling the popcorn at the movie theatre! The moose meat casserole and burgers were great!Had the same type of cereal today, but had a few black walnuts with it also. Dried and baked some pumpkin seeds for snack today, and having leftovers from yesterday for lunch today. I will probably have a leftover moose meat burger and wild rice for dinner tonight as I won't have time to cook.

    ReplyDelete