Traditional Foods

"Traditional" in the context of these projects means pre-contact foods. No beef, mutton, goat, chicken, pork, milk, butter, cream, wheat flour (no fry bread), rye, barley, okra, black-eyed peas, or any other "Old World" food that many of us have lovingly incorporated into our diets and tribal cultures. No processed foods (Doritoes, Lays Chips, etc), even if the base is corn or potatoes. No chocolate unless it is unsweetened cacao or sweetened with honey from the Melipona bee, fruit, stevia, camas or agave. Be adventurous and try unfamiliar foods! There are many foods to choose from. My American Indian Health and Diet Project site lists and defines many of them.



Friday, November 4, 2011

Day 4 Part 1

Before this week, I normally wake up very early, drink a large bottle of Propel, make a pot of half-caff coffee, then eat several handfuls of Corn Chex (because using your hands instead of a bowl means there are fewer calories in the cereal, right? no)
I love fruit, but it doesn't fill me up unless it's an entire watermelon or cantaloupe. Today I mixed it up. What you see above is eclectic: banana, papaya, guava (I found some in a can and drained the juice) and half an avocado. I normally wouldn't eat that much avocado, but since I am drastically reducing my fat intake this week, half a small fruit is probably a good idea. It's filling, full of unsaturated fats and mixes well with the sweeter fruit.

These are baggies of frozen turkey that my husband Josh shot last spring. The meat is in the oven right now and I plan to make several dishes later in the day.
How is it going for everyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment