Traditional Foods

"Traditional" in the context of these projects means pre-contact foods. No beef, mutton, goat, chicken, pork, milk, butter, cream, wheat flour (no fry bread), rye, barley, okra, black-eyed peas, or any other "Old World" food that many of us have lovingly incorporated into our diets and tribal cultures. No processed foods (Doritoes, Lays Chips, etc), even if the base is corn or potatoes. No chocolate unless it is unsweetened cacao or sweetened with honey from the Melipona bee, fruit, stevia, camas or agave. Be adventurous and try unfamiliar foods! There are many foods to choose from. My American Indian Health and Diet Project site lists and defines many of them.



Thursday, November 3, 2011

Days 2 and 3

I still had a sore throat yesterday and didn't eat much. For breakfast I had a banana and peanut butter again (filling). Throughout the day I had blueberry and Echinacea tea.

Today for breakfast I had a banana, papaya and small bowl of corn mush topped with agave syrup.

Lunch yesterday was a salad of tomatoes, zucchini, onions and a bit of vegetable oil and pepper. Lunch today was a bit of a cheat. I had meetings, then class until 12:15, then a meeting after that. Grad student Ed Smith and I stopped at the union after walking up the hill and got strawberry smoothies. I didn't feel too bad about that since it was made with water. It did have a no-cal sweetener, but the large glass was still only 70 calories and the cold berries felt good on my throat. After the meeting, I was ravenous and the only edibles in my bag were a Luna bar (can't have it) and chocolate covered insects.
 Now, I don't normally carry these things with me. I had some for my Indigenous Food and Health students to sample a few weeks ago and one box got tucked under my sandisks, Kleenexes, papers and other briefcase junks. Crunchy, but these 4 crickets and wormy guys are not filling. Insects are, however, very nutritious.

I did make another nut and seed mixture this morning, this time with pumpkin and sunflower seeds and some peanuts mixed in. I forgot them, however, which is why I ate the insects.
Got home a while ago and warmed up some more corn mush and this time put maple syrup on it. This is the shorthand version of Choctaw tamfulla. I simply put cornmeal in a small crock pot and cooked with water until very tender. That's it. I love corn in all forms and eat it everyday.
Went to feed my catfish. These guys are huge and we need to catch a few before it gets too cold and they settle at the bottom of the pond.

No comments:

Post a Comment